In a little over a decade, Samsung moved into the production of food, and established manufacturing and sales operations – Factoid: The name Samsung means “Three Stars” in Korean.
1950s -1960s: Years of expansion, branching into insurance, textiles, and construction.
1969 – Samsung-Sanyo Electronics established, focusing primarily on TV’s.
1970s – The first Samsung black and white TV goes on sale. But company also invests in chemical, and petrochemical industries.
1. Samsung acquires 50 percent stake in Korea Semiconductor, helping to solidify their position as a leading manufacturer of semiconductors.
2. 1976, 1 millionth black-and-white TV produced.
3. 1978, Began export of color televisions.
4. 4 millionth black-and-white TV produced, the greatest number in the world at the time.
1980s: Samsung diversifies and expanded globally. Focusing on electronics, the company began producing personal computers (1983), tape recorders, air conditioners, and VCRs.
1. 1987 – Founding Chairman Byung-Chull Lee DIES. His son, Kun-Hee Lee, succeeded him as the new Chairman
2. 1988 – Launched their first mobile phone, in the South Korean market.
1990s: A period of product development, creativity and rising popularity of their products
1. 1992 –
• Development of 250MB hard disc drive completed
• Development of world’s first 64M DRAM completed
• 10 millionth industrial robot produced
• World’s first 64M DRAM completed
2. 1994 – Development of world’s first 256M DRAM completed
• 30 millionth microwave oven produced
• Samsung Aerospace developed the world’s first four-power zoom camera
3. 1996 -Development of 1G DRAM completed
• Developed world’s fastest CPU, the Alpha chip
• Began mass production of 64M DRAMs
4. 1998 -Began mass production of the world’s first digital TV
• Development of completely flat-screen TV completed
• Served as Olympic Partner at Nagano Winter Olympics
• World’s first 128M SDRAM introduced
2000-2013 – Developed world’s first 512Mb DRAM
TV Phone and Watch Phone Make Guinness Book of World Records
1. 2004: Sold 20 million cell phones in U.S.
2. 2006: Launched world’s first blue ray disc player.
3. 2008: Lee Kun-hee steps down as chairman after being convicted of tax evasion and breach of trust. He is given a presidential pardon and returns as chairman in 2010
4. 2008: Attains #1 status in U.S. cellphone market
Sources of iformation:
Source of smartphone research: MM Research Institute